Check 1st draft SUE report
The 1st draft SUE report is available for checking at 9.00 am on the second Thursday (day 9) of each pay period. Check this report as soon as it is available, to ensure employees will be paid correctly. If errors are found, make corrections before the cut-off times.
The 1st draft SUE report does not include final pay for terminating employees. Final pay is calculated in a termination pay run on the Sunday before pay day (day 12), and will show in the 2nd draft SUE report available on the Monday morning.
Cut-off times for corrections
If you identify errors in the 1st draft SUE report, you must make corrections before the following cut-off times:
- 12.00 pm on Thursday (day 9) for manual corrections via form to the Novopay Service Centre
- 5.00 pm on Friday (day 10) for corrections in Novopay Online.
The Ministry of Education strongly recommends that the person who checks the SUE report is independent of any changes made. If this is not possible (e.g. in a small school), an independent board member should be responsible for checking.
Gather documents for checking
Gather the following documents:
- The 1st draft SUE report for this pay period, which shows the pay details of a school's employees in a pay period.
It is recommended that you save the draft SUE report in CSV format and open it using a spreadsheet program, e.g. Excel, so that you can filter and sort the data for easy checking. See Staff Usage and Expenditure (SUE) report for details.
- The latest Transaction report, which displays every transaction for the school in the current pay period. The PDF version shows school transactions only. The CSV version shows school and pay centre transactions. See Transaction report for details.
- The final SUE report that you downloaded at the end of the previous pay period. You can use this to compare pay totals in the Employee Summaries, which will help you to identify and account for differences. If any totals are noticeably different, check forms and other documents to identify the reason for the difference.
- The latest 'Daily status of your Tickets' email, which shows tickets that have not yet been processed in the past three pay periods. See Manage tickets for details.
- Copies of forms that have been sent to the Novopay Service Centre since the beginning of the processing period.
- Details of leave, time sheets and other changes that have been made in Novopay Online, effective in the current pay period.
Check SUE report for pay errors
The SUE report shows the pay for each employee, broken down by payment type. It is important to check that the payment types for each employee are correct, including:
- Check that all leave is correct.
- Check that any changes to entitlements are showing correctly.
- Check for employees who are due arrears, i.e. due to increments or collective agreement changes.
- Check that only current employees appear on the payroll, and that new employees have been added correctly.
- Check that payments are correctly coded to the appropriate funding code, i.e. Operational Grant, MOE Teacher Salaries or Other.
- Check that time sheets and extra time have been entered correctly.
See the notes below for further guidance on how to check some of the above items in the SUE report.
If you notice incorrect information, see Correct pay errors.
Check that all leave taken in the current pay period shows correctly in the SUE report. Leave codes show in the Payment Type column. See Leave codes and reasons to check what each code means.
Check carefully that any leave without pay (LWOP) dates are correct, as incorrect dates will result in overpayment or underpayment.
Check that all employees are receiving their entitlements, as outlined in their employment agreement.
Check that employees who are due arrears, i.e. due to increments or collective agreement changes, are receiving them.
Arrears are included in the Amount Paid shown in the employee's SAL - Salary line.
- Do new employees show in the SUE report?
- Will they be paid for the correct number of days/hours since their start date?
- Are they on the correct grade, step, percentage and rate? For non-teachers, these are set by the school in accordance with the terms and conditions of the relevant collective agreement. For teachers, check that the details match what has been advised by the Salary Assessment Unit.
- Are they receiving their entitlements, as outlined in the employment agreement? See the 'Entitlements' section above.
See New appointment for more information.
If you notice errors in the SUE report or Transaction report, you must correct these before the cut-off times. See Correct pay errors.
If instructions have been sent to the Novopay Service Centre, but do not show in the reports, check the daily ticket status email. For advice on sending forms and managing tickets, see Manage tickets.
A-Z of payroll:
Frequently asked questions: