The requirements for booking leave vary for different employment agreements and leave types. See A-Z of payroll for more detail relating to specific leave types.
- Always check that the leave request is in line with the employee's employment agreement.
See Employment agreements (EDUCATION.govt.nz website).
Contact NZ School Trustees Association if you need help to interpret employment agreement details.
- It is important to use the correct leave type code, and reason code where these apply. See Leave codes.
Where possible, book leave in advance or in the pay period in which it is taken. Submit leave bookings before the current pay period cut-off times. See Cut-off times for pay instructions.
Checklist for booking leave
- Check the employee's employment agreement to ensure they are entitled to take the requested leave, and that they have supplied medical certificate(s), Ministry approval or other documentation, if applicable. See Employment agreements (EDUCATION.govt.nz website).
- Carefully calculate the number of days/half days that the employee is taking.
See Count number of leave days.
- Check the employee's leave balance to determine if it is sufficient to cover the requested number of days. See Manage leave balances.
- Obtain approval from the principal or authorised delegate in line with the board's policy.
See Leave management for roles and responsibilities.
- Determine whether you will need to split the leave request into more than one leave booking, as follows:
- If the employee works multiple jobs at the school, determine which of their job(s) to book the leave against. If required, create a separate booking for each job.
- If leave is to be split across multiple leave types, create a separate booking for each leave type.
- If a leave request consists of full and half days, create a separate booking for each set of consecutive full or half days. For example, if an employee takes two full days, then a half day, then another full day, this must be entered online or on the form as three separate booking entries.
- Book leave in Novopay Online or on a NOVO12 form as specified below.
Back to top
Novopay Online or form?
The tables below list leave types that can be booked in Novopay Online. Book leave types not listed here using a NOVO12 form.
- Use a NOVO12 form to book leave that requires two different leave codes for the same day, e.g. half a day sick leave and half a day sick leave without pay.
- If leave requires Ministry approval or accompanying documentation, attach the relevant documents with the NOVO12 form. See A-Z of payroll for more detail relating to specific leave types.
- Use a NOVO12 form to book leave for non-teaching staff with a work pattern.
- If you are unable to book leave online, e.g. due to system error or system unavailability, you can send a NOVO12 form to the Novopay Service Centre. In this case, note in the email that you were unable to enter the leave in Novopay Online.
An approved paid leave booking of a type listed below can be entered in Novopay Online if it falls no more than five pay periods in the past or in the current or a future pay period. The employee must have an entitlement where one is required. To book leave taken in earlier pay periods, use a NOVO12 form.
||Annual leave - 52 week Non Teacher
||In Lieu of a Public Holiday
||Long Service Leave
||Long Service Leave SSS Grandparented (Secretaries)
||Long Service Leave SSS Grandparented (Ancillary)
||Long Service Leave SSS Grandparented (Executive)
||Leave to attend Partner at Birth of their Child
||Plan/Prep/Prof Development Leave Residential
||Anticipated Sick Leave - Statutory
||Shift Leave Residential Employee
||Time off in Lieu
Back to top
Leave without pay
An approved leave without pay booking of a type listed below can only be loaded in Novopay Online if it falls no more than one pay period in the past or in the current or a future pay period. To book leave without pay taken in earlier pay periods, use a NOVO12 form.
Important: When retrospective leave without pay is to be booked, the salary for the unpaid leave days will be deducted from the current pay. Therefore, complete a NOVO12 form if the employee's current pay is insufficient to cover the adjustment, as the employee will be in an overpayment situation. This will always be the case when a fortnight or more of leave without pay is booked.
||Bereavement/Tangihanga Leave Without Pay
||Military Training Leave Without Pay
||Maternity Leave Without Pay
||Parental Leave Without Pay
||Refreshment Leave Without Pay
||Sick Leave Without Pay
||Strike Without Pay
||Union Leave Without Pay
Back to top
To book leave in Novopay Online:
My School > School Leave Details > Leave Bookings Entry
For leave bookings that cannot be booked in Novopay Online (see above), complete a NOVO12 form and send it to the Novopay Service Centre.
Double-check that you have entered the correct leave dates, leave type code (and reason if applicable) and number of days. Leave can only be booked as full days or half days.
See Leave codes and reasons for the correct code to use.
View leave bookings
To view employee leave bookings in Novopay Online:
My School > School Leave Details > School Leave Bookings
You can view a leave booking on the Transaction report on the day after the leave booking was entered. Leave bookings for the current pay period also show on the Staff Usage and Expenditure (SUE) report and the School Annual and Sick Leave report.
See Payroll record keeping for guidance on keeping good records.
Back to top
A-Z of payroll:
Back to top