Staff Usage and Expenditure (SUE) report
The Staff Usage and Expenditure (SUE) report is generated as an output of a pay run. It shows the gross pay details of a school's employees in a pay period.
Three versions of the SUE report are generated in a pay cycle, as follows:
|1st draft SUE report
||Historically referred to as the Draft SUE report.
Available on the Thursday before pay day (day 9).
|2nd draft SUE report
||Historically referred to as the Final SUE report.
Available on the Monday before pay day (day 13).
|Final SUE report
||Historically referred to as the Final Final SUE report.
Available on the Tuesday after the pay is run (day 14).
This reflects the actual pay run and forms part of the school's financial records.
The draft SUE reports allow administrators and principals to check details and correct pay errors before each pay run. After the pay is run, the final SUE report forms part of the school's accounting records.
For a full picture of how the SUE reports are used in the fortnightly pay cycle, see Fortnightly pay.
This report can be downloaded as either a CSV file or a PDF file. These display slightly different information, as follows:
- The CSV version contains Department/Funding Detail, and a totals summary. This provides an easy format to check draft SUE reports using a spreadsheet program, e.g. Excel, to identify pay errors.
See Novopay training to access training on how to sort and filter SUE reports.
- The PDF version provides data in a printable format, and forms part of the school's financial records. The only difference between the data in the PDF and CSV versions is the inclusion of the Employee Summary in the PDF version, which can be used to see the total pay for each employee. See Reading the report below.
For information on these file formats, see CSV and PDF file formats.
Only school-wide administrators and principals can access this report.
The Ministry of Education strongly recommends that the person who checks the SUE reports is independent of any changes made.
Back to top
Download the report
- Download the SUE report in Novopay Online using the following menu path:
My Reporting tab > School Reports > Staff Usage and Expenditure (SUE)
- Select the end date of the period you want to view.
- Click file format (PDF or CSV) that you would like to download.
Back to top
Reading the report
The SUE reports have three sections, as follows:
Note: The Employee Summary is only available in the PDF version of the report.
This displays the SUE data alphabetically by employee surname. The detail of an employee's gross pay is consolidated by pay code for each job. This helps you to quickly scan for amounts that stand out as being incorrect.
If you need more detail on the transactions that make up each line in the Employee Summary, refer to the Department/Funding Detail section of the report.
The Department/Funding Detail section uses the same data as the Employee Summary, but displays it by the funding code (e.g. MoE Teachers Salaries, Bulk Grant, Other) and the department code (e.g. Music, Special needs staffing, etc.) within your school that the payments are applied to. This section gives a line-by-line description of staff usage and expenditure by pay code.
Year-to-date totals summary
At the end of the report is a table showing payments from all funds for each pay period in the current financial year. The current pay period is the last row in the table. The amount in the Direct Debit column is the amount that will be debited from the school's bank account on pay day. In some circumstances, this may be a credit.
The adjustment summary below the year-to-date totals summary will only show detail in exceptional circumstances.
This table describes some of the columns in the SUE reports.
||A payment type can be one of a number of code types, i.e. salary, allowance, leave and overtime codes.
See Codes to determine what individual codes mean.
||The period over which the payment applies. This may be one date or a start date and end date.
||The units paid describe the time that is paid for. The number of units is shown, followed by H for hours (used for non-teachers) or D for days (used for teachers).
||The rate used to calculate the payment. This shows the rate and the basis (H for hourly, D for daily, W for weekly, A for annual).
||The percentage used to calculate the pay. If no percentage is specified, it is assumed to be 100% or full-time. A percentage value shows in this column for part-time employees.
||The amount paid is the gross amount for each payment type. Also shown is the gross amount charged to the department.
Back to top
- Check the 1st draft SUE report as soon as it is available on the Thursday before pay day to ensure that employees will be paid correctly in the current pay period. See Check 1st draft SUE report for details.
- If errors are found, correct these either via form or in Novopay Online before the cut-off times. See Correct pay errors.
- Check the 2nd draft SUE report on the Monday before pay day to ensure that errors have been corrected. See Check 2nd draft SUE report.
- Check the final SUE report and action stop pays, if required, before 10 am on Tuesday. See Check and file final SUE report.
- Download the PDF version of the final SUE report. A signed copy must be kept as part of your financial records.
Back to top
It is recommended that you keep a checked and signed PDF version of final SUE reports until the year's financial audit is completed.
To meet legal requirements, SUE reports must be kept for seven years. SUE reports for the past 15 months can be downloaded from Novopay Online. For older versions, contact the Novopay Service Centre.
See Payroll record keeping.
Frequently asked questions:
A-Z of payroll:
Back to top