Information for school employees

The resources on this page will help you to understand your payroll responsibilities as an employee. If you have a question about your pay or leave balance, speak to your school's principal or payroll administrator.

Your payroll responsibilities

As an employee, it is your responsibility to ensure that you:

  • know your payroll responsibilities and how they align with other responsibilities
  • keep informed and up to date on payroll matters
  • provide accurate personal pay-related details to your employer, and communicate any change in circumstances promptly
  • provide accurate and timely timesheet information to your employer
  • comply with the board's policy and procedures for requesting and taking leave
  • check that your information and payments made are correct, notify your employer of any errors, and assist in the resolution of those errors where required.

Your payslip

Payslips are emailed every fortnight. You need to supply an email address to your payroll administrator in order to receive your payslip.

Your email payslip is password protected – use your MoE number. If you can't remember your MoE number, you can find it on a previous payslip, or ask your school's payroll administrator. This is NOT the same as your teacher registration number.

EdPay requires a 7-digit MoE number. If your MoE number is only 5 or 6 digits, add zeros to the front, e.g. 12345 becomes 0012345, and 123456 becomes 0123456.

Back to top

End of Year holiday pay

End of Year holiday pay calculations

Change personal details

In addition to information affecting your pay or leave, remember to notify your payroll administrator if you change your personal details:

  • Contact addresses or phone numbers
  • Email address: This is the address that your payslip will be sent to.
  • Bank account(s): There must be a main account, but you can request fixed amounts to be paid into other accounts. There is a 25c fee each pay period for each additional bank account.

Resolve pay issues

If you have a question about your pay or leave balance, speak to your school's principal or payroll administrator.


Salary assessments for teachers

The Salary Assessment Unit (SAU) assess the annual base salary of new, foreign and returning teachers working within the New Zealand state sector. A teacher must apply to have their salary assessed and submit an application form. This team does not assess the salaries of principals or non-teaching staff.


If you want to suggest other links for this page, please let us know using the Feedback form.