Information for principals
The principal is delegated by the board of trustees under section 66 of the Education Act 1989 to ensure:
- that public money is being appropriately spent in the payroll, whether this is through the Operational Grant (BG) or through Teachers Salaries (TS)
- that all salary and wage instructions comply with the intentions of the board, and are correctly actioned
- that expenditure is appropriately recorded in school accounting systems.
See Delegations (NZSTA website).
The principal's payroll responsibilities
As an employer, you must:
- ensure you are aware of the payroll responsibilities of the school's board of trustees.
See Information for boards of trustees.
- know your payroll responsibilities and how they align with other responsibilities
- employ staff and ensure they are remunerated in line with relevant employment agreements and legal obligations
- follow requirements for managing employees' leave. See Leave management.
- keep employees notified of payroll matters/changes, and provide advice when requested
- provide accurate and timely employee, payroll and employer/school information to Education Payroll Ltd (or the Ministry, where specified)
- notify Education Payroll Ltd and relevant employees (and the Ministry, where relevant) of any errors, and assist in the resolution of those errors where required
- contribute to the continual improvement of the payroll services
- manage the school's payroll budget
- provide appropriate school IT infrastructure for payroll.
Authorised user access and training
As a principal, you must be an authorised Novopay Online user, to ensure that you can fulfil your delegated management accountabilities, and manage your administrators' pay.
Back to top
- As a formal delegate of the board of trustees, you must:
- comply with the Novopay requirements for signatures on authorised forms. See Completing NOVO forms.
- ensure that the person who checks the SUE reports is not the same person who entered the payroll information. See Fortnightly pay.
- ensure that each SUE report and accompanying transaction reports are verified and formally signed off by an independent reviewer, and are filed securely with financial records. See Reports.
- ensure that all paper instructions and source documents are filed in HR files (including personal files) that are held securely at the school. See Payroll record keeping.
Your own payroll instructions
Novopay Online does not allow any users at a school to alter a principal's salary details. The board of trustees or the Ministry will send instructions regarding the principal's salary and annual leave entitlement directly to Novopay.
Other payroll instructions for principals must be submitted via a form to the Novopay Service Centre. If a form requires a signature, the board must sign the form. For more information, see Completing NOVO forms.
Back to top
Resolve a payroll matter
If you cannot resolve a payroll matter using information on this website, see Contact us for the appropriate contact point.
Frequently asked questions:
If you want to suggest other links for this page, please let us know using the Feedback form.
Back to top