Start of Year allowance summary
Employees may be eligible for allowances, as specified in their employment agreement. Some allowances automatically renew each year, while others will need to be added. For allowances that have no set rate an agreed rate must be advised via NOVO form.
See Allowances for guidance on managing allowances during Start of Year.
The following allowances will automatically renew at the beginning of each year for fixed term teachers and term-time only employees once their job start date has been entered in the Start of Year screen:
- 11% additional payment
- All Chatham Island allowances
- Clothing allowance
- First aid allowance (Support Staff collective agreement)
- Grandparented clothing allowance
- Grandparented General Industry allowance
- Grandparented Service Increment
- Isolation allowance
- Normal School allowance
- Priority Teachers Supply allowance
- Qualification allowances (Support Staff collective agreement)
- Service allowance (Caretakers/Cleaners/Groundstaff/Special Residential)
- Salary Loading
- Special Duties allowance (non-teaching)
- Service Increment
- Staffing Incentive allowance
- New Zealand Sign Language allowance
The following allowances do not have a set rate. For these allowances, complete the appropriate NOVO form to specify the rate.
- Concurrence allowances
Note: For concurrence allowances, also attach the Ministry of Education approval letter.
- Higher duties allowances
- Recruitment, Retention and Responsibility (RRR) payments (Secondary/Area schools)
Note: For RRR payments you can wait until the position start date and enter the allowance and rate via Novopay Online, as an alternative to the NOVO form.