Check 2nd draft SUE report
The 2nd draft SUE report is available for checking at 9.00 am on the second Monday (day 13) of each pay period. The 2nd draft SUE report includes final pay for terminating employees. Check for corrections made following the 1st draft SUE report, and that final pay has been calculated for terminated employees.
Cut-off times for corrections
Check the 2nd draft SUE report immediately on Monday morning to identify incorrect pay before the overnight pay run on Monday night.
If urgent adjustments are required to stop incorrect pay going through, send a NOVO31 form to the Novopay Service Centre before 11.00 am on Monday with the subject line STOP PAY ADJUST (name, MOE number).
The Ministry of Education strongly recommends that the person who checks the SUE report is independent of any changes made. If this is not possible (e.g. in a small school), an independent board member should be responsible for checking.
Gather documents for checking
Gather the following documents:
- The 2nd draft SUE report for this pay period.
It is recommended that you save the draft SUE reports in CSV format and open them using a spreadsheet program, e.g. Excel, so that you can filter and sort the data for easy checking. See Staff Usage and Expenditure (SUE) report for details.
- The 1st draft SUE report for this pay period.
- Copies of NOVO31 forms that have been sent to the Novopay Service Centre to correct errors found in the 1st draft SUE report.
- Copies of NOVO6 forms for employees terminating in the current pay period.
- The latest Transaction report, which displays every transaction for the school in the current pay period. The PDF version shows school transactions only. The CSV version shows school and pay centre transactions. See Transaction report for details.
- The latest 'Daily status of your Tickets' email, which shows instructions that have not yet been processed in the past three pay periods. See Manage tickets for details.
Check 2nd draft SUE report for pay errors
It is important to check that the details on the 2nd draft SUE report are correct before the pay is run overnight.
- Check final summaries against the 1st draft SUE report to identify differences.
- Check total summaries for Operational Grant and MoE Teacher Salaries.
- Check the departmental totals.
- Confirm that any differences reflect corrections made since the 1st draft SUE report.
- Check that NOVO31 and other forms have been actioned. If not, follow up with the Novopay Service Centre.
- Confirm that corrections you have submitted via Novopay Online show in the 2nd draft SUE report.
- Check that terminated employees will be paid their final pay.
Check that employees who have ended their job in the current pay period:
- will be paid for the correct number of days/hours up to their end date
- will be paid their final pay.
If an employee has left your school prior to this pay period, but still shows in the SUE report, they have not been terminated in Novopay. This will result in an overpayment, and must be corrected before pay day.
Remember to terminate employees as they leave, either online or using a NOVO6 form.
The Pay Ending report shows employees with an occupancy end date in the past or due in the next 90 days. The occupancy end date is the end date loaded in Novopay for an employee's position.
The employees showing on this report will not be terminated automatically when their end date is reached. You must terminate them when they leave, or restart or extend them if they are not leaving. See Pay Ending report for the correct actions to take in each situation.
Correct errors in 2nd draft SUE report
If urgent adjustments are required to stop incorrect pay going through, send a NOVO31 form to the Novopay Service Centre before 11.00 am on Monday (day 13).
Use the subject STOP PAY ADJUST (name, MOE number) in the email to the Novopay Service Centre.
You will receive a reply email from the Novopay Service Centre with the ticket number for the request. Write this ticket number on the original form, so that your records are accurate.
The Novopay Service Centre prioritises emails that have STOP PAY ADJUST in the subject line.
Check the final SUE report on Tuesday morning to see if the urgent adjustment request was able to be processed before the pay was run. See Check and file final SUE report.
The pay is run overnight on Monday night. This produces the final SUE report, which forms part of the school's accounting records. See Check and file final SUE report.