News for School Payroll Staff

Novopay Newsletter 10 February 2017

We are ahead of last year with Start of Year (SoY). Currently only seven schools have yet to start SoY. Last year it was 54 so this a very good position to be in. Thank you everyone.

This issue features a story on School Annual Accrual Report (SAAR) which will be coming out soon and there will be further communications to you.

Please ensure your Authorised User contact details are current and accurate. This is obviously critical information for us. We like to use Novopay News to provide helpful advice along with reminders about deadlines and so on. Please let us know if there are any topics you would like to cover and email with any suggestions.


Mathew Gordon

Manager, Service Desk and Support, Education Payroll Limited.

School annual accrual report (SAAR)

The School Annual Accrual Reports are due to be available next week from Novopay Online. As soon as we have enabled the report, we will send out a Novopay Alert to schools. We will also send you the Leave Liability Reports and Error Schedules required to complete the School Financial Statements (from a payroll perspective) later in the month.

Schools require both their SAAR and Leave Liability Report and Error Schedules (Overpayments, Stop Pays and Funding Code Errors) to complete the payroll section of their School Financial Statement. These need to submitted to your auditor by 31 March 2017.

Contact Details

Reminder: Please make sure your schools authorised Novopay user contact details are current and up-to-date. If there have been changes to an authorised users email address or telephone number please resubmit a new Novo5 form detailing the change, best practice requires your school to maintain such details for payroll purposes. Novopay also requires Novo5c forms for previous authorised users if they have left your school, or no longer require Novopay access.

Teaching Allowances

You can enter Teachers' allowances in the Start of Year screen up until the 28 March 2017 provided that the following rule applies: The start and end date of an allowance must fall within the employee's job start and end dates.

For instructions on how to update allowances, refer to pages 16 and 17 of the Start of Year instructions here. We recommend that you use NOL to add the allowances rather than using a Novo16t form. However, due to the beginning of the school year (28/01) falling within pay-period 201722 we are now unable to replace allowances online. For example: If a school is trying to replace a UP02 with UP03 they will need to use a Novo16t. Also Concurrence Allowances, the Higher Duty Allowances and the Recruitment, Retention and Responsibility allowances (RRR) will need a Novo 16t.

Reminder: Book Leave for 52 - week non-teaching employees

If you haven't already booked the leave for these employees over the holiday period, this leave booking will now be retrospective. Please use a Novo 12. Refer to Tools to Help You on the website - A-Z - under Annual leave for 52 week non teachers.

NOVO28t - Higher Duties Allowance for Teachers

If a principal/teacher is going on leave, has resigned, or is acting in a higher position, use the NOVO28t form to pay Higher Duties Allowance for teachers who are acting in a higher position.

When, as a consequence of a principal being on leave, the school reallocates duties to other teachers, you will need to submit more than one NOVO28t for teachers acting in different tiers.

For example, Janette is a principal at school, Paul is a senior teacher, and Jo is a teacher.

When Janette goes on leave, Paul is acting in Janette's role. You will need to submit a NOVO28t to pay Higher Duties Allowance to Paul for acting up in Janette's role.

Due to Paul being released to undertake the principal's role, Jo is acting in Paul's senior teacher's role. You will need to submit a separate NOVO28t to pay Higher Duties Allowance to Jo for acting up in Paul's role.

The forms and instructions are available on the website.

Here's a few helpful hints that you could save and refer to when you are filling out the forms.

Step1. Fill out all the details on the form fields 3-8. This is the incumbent employee in the role.

Step 2. Provide a brief description of why you have filled the form out, name the individuals involved. For example, who is covering and who for, the date range, and what you need Education Payroll to do.

Note: If a teacher is covering for a principal, you do not need to fill out 'field 17' ($ Value of HDA), Education Payroll will calculate this for you. If the teacher is covering for another teacher, who is in a higher position other than principal, you need to provide the value of the Higher Duties Allowance per annum in 'field17' For the value of 'field 17', please see the relevant clauses for a quick reference.

Acting in a Higher Position other than Principal

For Secondary teachers, see clause 4.16 of the Secondary Teachers's Collective Agreement.

For Primary teachers, see clause 3.15 of the Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement.

For Area teachers, see clause 3.12 of the Area Teachers' Collective Agreement.

Acting Principal

For Secondary acting principals, see clause 4.15 of the Secondary Teachers's Collective Agreement.

For Primary acting principals, see clause 3.16 Primary Teachers' Collective Agreement.

For Area acting principals, see clause 3.11 of the Area Teachers' Collective Agreement.

How to fill out the funding codes: 'Field 19' and' Field 20'

For special funding for the Higher Duties Allowance, e.g. sabbatical or study leave, enter the Funding code advised on the 'TeachNZ Study Award Coding Notice' in 'field 19', and the Department code advised on the coding notice in 'field 20'.

If the principal is on paid leave, you will need to enter code 11010 in 'field 19', and your own Department code in 'field 20'.

Please ensure the leave form is submitted once you've completed the NOVO28t if applicable. Email the forms to the Novopay Service Centre via the normal process. If you require further assistance, please contact your payroll adviser.