Question Answer
How do we add or change allowances in Novopay Online? My School tab > Employment Changes > Employee Changes > Select 'Teaching Unit/Payment Allocation/Allowance Change'
Can we see a teacher's allowances in Novopay Online? It depends on your access level. For example if you are a school-wide administrator you can see all salaries and allowances (except your own and the Principal's). You can find an individual's allowances in My School under Employment Changes. Allowances also show on your SUE report.
Does the employee need to sign anything for units, retention payments or similar? If an employee has just accepted a position of responsibility with units etc, both the school and the employee need to sign an agreement about the payment. This is retained by your school.
How do we enter Recruitment Retention and Responsibility allowance (RRR) details?

For primary schools, the allowance has a set rate, so you can enter details for the RRR allowance under the My School tab in Novopay Online.

For secondary and area schools, the RRR allowance is not rated, so use a NOVO16t form. The rate must not exceed the rate of a salary unit (currently $4000pa). The same per annum rate must be applied to all employees who receive an RRR payment. 

How do we enter a Dirty Work Allowance? Event based allowances for support staff are entered in the Time sheet screen under the My School tab in Novopay Online.
How do we split units for teaching staff ? Units cannot be split.

The only exception is under Clause 3.12.1 (b) (i) of the Primary Teachers CA, which allows schools with an entitlement of three or fewer units to split a fixed term unit between two staff. This can be advised either online or on a NOVO form by using code UFFH.

Units can be shared between two job-share employees.
How do we add Ministry concurrences in Novopay? You need to send a copy of the Ministry concurrence and the relevant NOVO form to the Novopay Service Centre.
How do we claim Bus Controller Allowance? See Bus Controller Allowances on the Ministry of Education website.

Related links